Our History

The Early Years 1980-1914

The evidence is clearly recorded through the spoken word of respected men, through the written word and through the irrefutable proof of the camera that rugby football in Cwmtwrch is over a hundred years old.

It was in 1890 that an official Cwmtwrch team took the field for the first time. Doubtless "scratch" sides has graced the green swards of the Cwm well before this.

The names of that original side are the ones which, in reality begin the club's roll of honour. They still trip easily off memory's tounge: Dan Bach Jenkins, Billy Jones, Twm and W.J. Davies, T. Pascoe Lewis, Edwin Davies (Cefec lleter) Griff Doctor Williams, Griff "Sticle", Rhys Phil Tom and Dick Catherine, Emlyn Thomas and Emlyn Williams.

Their expolits form legends. Sam Butler's remarkable prowess as a kicker. It is said that he could kick the length of the field from goalpost to goalpost. His talent was handed down the years and became manifest in Welsh international rugby in the nineteen sixtes thanks to a certain Welsh scrum half and captain!

Three of Cwmtwrch's earliestplayers are accredited with a great turn of speed. Dick catherine, Hywel Lewis and Griff "Sticle" have been give posterity's accolade as "even timers". Billy Jones was one of the club's founder members. He was just fifteen years of age when he played in that 1890 side. His playing career obviously started early for he had played for Ammanford, his birth place, before moving to Cwmtwrch.

The first ground for Cwmtwrch R.F.C. was the one the club plays on today since returning there after the Second World War and the early fixtures came about by challenge. These challenges were issued to teams like Ammanford and the quaintly named Morriston Monks.

Travel to away matches was by horse and brake and could not have been easy. Regrettably it has not been possible to trace accurate records of how many away matches were played in that first season. Certainly matches were played at Ammanford, Morriston, Amman United and Skewen.

There are those handed down to their sons and grandsons vivid stories of the 1890s; of how the players took the field wearing tasselled caps and the fact that the club's first recorded captain was not recorded as such until 1903 when D.Davies held the hounoured position.

Although other clubs were formed during these years in the Swansea Valley, Cwmtwrch were acknowledged as a major force in the local game providing more than a handful of players for Swansea.

In 1909 Cwmtwrch joined forces with next door neighbours Cwmllynfell to form a side that could make more than a close run thing of it against first class opposition. The names of some of the team's players live on in local rugby folklore. Billy Jones (capt 1895), Howell Lewis, Wil Bach Butler, Dick Loughour, Leyshon "Gilfach", Wil "Ponty" Davies, Dai Eben "Goshir", Dai Morgan Ty-gwyn, W.Wat jones, Dan Morgan Gelliwarog and Jack Jones "Cotia".

Like other clubs in the locality Cwmtwrch had joined the Swansea and District League. This league was tremendously organised and so many clubs took part in ti that three divisions were formed. Competition was fierce especially between Cwmtwrch, Cwmllynfell and Brynamman who were in the same division of the league. It took five meetings in one round of the league cup before a result was obtained between Cwmllynfel and Cwmtwrch. Needless to say it as Cwmtwrch's victory in the end. They won by the odd penalty goal on the fifth attempt in a match played at Danygraig in Swansea.

As the first World war approached Cwmtwrch boasted one of the strongest sides ever in Wil Bach Butler (captain) Dan y George, Guto Powell, Frank and Fred Roderick, Tommy Davies, Jack and Dennis Price, Will Bonty, D John Rees, Sid Chesby, Steve Rosser with T.O. Jones and Emrys Hopkins. They began as wing threequarters but their names live on as outstanding half backs.


The Boar's Head

Generations of Cwmtwrch RFC players have worn the boar's

head symbol on blazer, tie and jersey.

Although the Club has celebrated its first centenary, the origin

of the Boar's Head symbol goes back much further, to the days

before the Norman Conquest and the earliest recorded

collection of Welsh legends.

The Mabinogion tells many fascinating tales amongst which

is a story of true love and romance. Culhwch and Olwen tells

how the young Prince sought the hand of Olwen in marriage

and found himself set a number of almost impossible tasks by

her father.

He was given thirty nine tasks to perform and one of these

was to hunt down and destroy the Wild Boar, y Twrch Trwyth,

bringing the rich golden ornaments adorning the boar's head

to his future father in law.

The chase and the battles ranged across Wales from

Pembrokeshire to the Severn with one of the most famous of

all bloody encounters taking plnce at Maesygilfach Meadow in

the very village of Cwmtwrch .

Thr story of Culhwch and Olwen ends happily. May the story

of Cwmtwrch rugby football continue happily and never end.